Sunday 28 April 2013

A2 trailer compared to AS opening two minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfdxL20I4JI

 

Opening Two Minutes

 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/1oFGHvd7NMo"

 

Trailer

 

These are the two outcomes that I have made over the course of two years, and there is changes that I have made and improved which show similarities but have been made to a better standard and context. Both my opening two minutes and my trailer are horror themed, which means that easy comparisons can be made and how I have broadened my experimentation in filming.
 
The titles that I used for my opening two minutes compared to last year were more relative to the horror genre, the year beforehand I underlined the title which didn't look as effective as if I had left it plain like this year. I had also found that making the title fit the whole screen seemed to be ineffective because it smothered the viewer to look as opposed to a smaller title which was placed directly in the middle like I did this year, this was effective because the audience then focus more easily and it appears more realistic to the horror genre. What I kept the same between the two was the colours that are the same for the horror genre, white titles on black to leave them unemotional and distant. The fonts were also bold and plain which is similar to most other titles in horror posters, opening two minutes and trailers that I have analysed over the two years.
 

The shots were more varied in my opening two minutes but not as effective as this years, the shots were too wide last year so there was no connection with the character. For the trailer, sometimes we didn't want the connection to the characters but it was relevant to the plot. This was unintentional in my opening two minutes, and it didn't have the desired effect I wanted. Working with a number of different actors this year was effective because then the sole focus wasn't on this one character, making it feel more mysterious to the viewer and leaving them further on edge because you couldn't see the surroundings.
I had used the same setting this year as I had last year, this was useful to me because I understood what effects I could create in the area and how I could use them to my advantage. For the trailer this was created in the snow instead, which added literally a cold effect to the environment the characters were within. We used close up shots of the snow to show footprints that made our audience feel as if the killer was on the loose, something I couldn't do in the weather conditions for my opening two minutes. Also compared to last years, this was all filmed in the fields, because the audience couldn't tell the different between some shots in one area to another, the camera didn't pan far enough out to see.
 
Sound has dramatically improved compared to last year. For the opening two minutes I had recorded the wind from outside and put this on a loop throughout the trailer because I didn't understand how to use the sound system. Working with a partner this year was helpful because I was able to get an understanding of the knowledge Jasmine knew and work into music to complete the overall effect of our trailer, using different music for certain paced areas of our trailer. Once I understood how to use it, I dragged the music over each other so you could hear no glitches to when one tune finished and another started. Out of all the improvements I have made compared to last year, this was definitely the most important.
We used a website called http://freeplaymusic.com/ to get non copyrighted music that we could use for our trailer, all of the songs that we though would be most effective we included in a spider diagram used on Mindjet. Out of all of these different music choices we included three for the different paces, saving the music into my documents so that they could be opened on Adobe Premier Elements 10.
 
I included an institution title that I hadn't included at all last year, which made this more effective to be believable to our audience. I had done this by saving the institution video to my documents off YouTube so that it could then be included at the beginning. I didn't understand how to do this last year, but over the A2 project I have learnt how to do this well and therefore my final outcome had been more professional.
 
Overall I think that working with a partner helped me to be able to understand new websites and technology with music and websites, but my knowledge of the area helped me to understand what shots would make this most effective. I have improved massively since last year and it is clearly seen through the elements above.

No comments:

Post a Comment